Friday, August 26, 2005

Waking

At times it’s helpful for me to think of myself in two parts- me, and my brain.  This is especially true when waking in the morning. When it's much too early to rise, I prefer the shadow me wakes. As "I" turn to look at the clock, I do so gently - like a mother peeking in on her infant child, not wishing to disturb the peaceful sleep. Whatever I do, I don't want to wake my brain. When the brain awakes it does so with the energy and speed of a roller coaster. There is no stopping the processing, no way to slow the eagerness to tackle the day’s foreseen challenges.  While this might seem ideal at the appropriate time of getting up, it is a mighty hassle when the brain decides to wake at 3 am, or worse 30 mins before it's time to get out of bed.  I have tried through the years to find ways to coax my brain back to sleep when it's sleeping time, but have found nothing to slow the electrical impulses once sparked. Thus when "I" awake at odd hours I will continue to move gingerly, lifting only one eyelid to peer at the time, and pray that my other self slumbers on!

No comments:

Post a Comment