Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Orchid

I've always heard stories from "the good ol days" of patients actually bringing their doctors corn or a chicken as a thank you.  This habit, I am told, also happens in rural areas where the family doc still is a family friend.  Here in the city, and as a realaitvley new doctor, I thought these stories were more folk tale than truth. Well, it is truth now. 

One of my new patients, a 77 year old man who has survived 4 different cancers, insisted that I accept an orchid and some plums from his garden. This was especially surprising after his accompanying daughter whispered to me "He swore 30 years ago he'd never have a female doc", I guess He had been refered to me by someone who forgot to mention I was a girl. "So that's why he looked so shell shocked the first time I entered the room!" I wispered back.  Knowing that I was going to have to work hard to keep his favor as a female doctor,  I agreed to stop by thier home after work to get these gifts.  I guess it was my first "house call", tho my services offered were more relationship building than doctoring.  In return, I left with a beautiful orchid and some fresh plumbs.  Isn't medicine great!  Ps- he let me take his picture next to the orchid (tho you can't really see the orchid great)


No comments:

Post a Comment