Monday, August 1, 2005

So, just an aside - baby did come at 3 minutes after midnight!

Today one of my patients returning to clinic for follow up said to me, "I would not be on this planet if it weren't for you"  What amazing medical feat had I done?  Did I make a stunning diagnosis in time for a lasting cure?  Did I catch a medical error that would have led to certain demise?  Did I give such glorious advice that her existence had taken on a new life-saving direction?  No.  None of that.

All I did was listen. She had been spiraling out of control, down into some dark depth. I guess I was in the right place at the right time to meet her at that bottom. Interesting that I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on education, even more hours of training and when it comes down to saving lives - I didn't need any of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment