Thursday, February 2, 2006

Success

We all measure the success of our days in different ways.  I wonder how aware we are of those unspoken measurements we place on ourselves?  It's different depending on what we do, or what we are after.  In pursuit of someone's affection, our success may be if we spoke to that person during the day.  If there is some behavior we are trying to change, our success may easily be, did we have that forbidden food or smoke that cigarette we swore we wouldn't?  If in school, did we actually get the work done on time?  Everyday, thousands of chances to give ourselves value by "succeeding" or devalue ourselves by "failing". 

It's good to find what we use as a ruler - because it may be completely unreasonable and need changing!  If for instance I made "success" pleasing every person I saw in the day, I'd be a big 'ol failure.  I was thinking of this today because I identified one of those subconscious measurements I've set for myself.  I realized that when I have my own clinic, with my own patients, I gauge my performance on how many times I had to ask a preceptor/staff doctor for input.  If I am autonomous, I give myself esteem.   However, asking another doctor's opinion shouldn't be deemed a failure- in fact, it's probably healthy to ask others for input.  Looks like this is one measurement of success that needs tweaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment