Sunday, February 12, 2006

Grave plots

The discussion today around our Sunday lunch glossed briefly over a mildly disturbing topic.  In a very business like manner I heard how some of the family's grave plots are switching hands.  My parents buying 2 slots from an uncle. The uncle in turn getting 2 places in another state near his parents' grave. This advantageous purchase will allow my parents to be buried next to my grandparents...who, I may add, are currently alive and well, and participating in the grave swap transactions.

Grave plots.  This one wasn't mentioned in personal finance classes in high school. When is the right time to buy a sight? Should I be out hunting for plots now? Is the point to get generations all lined up side by side, or to be laid to rest in the place you live most of your days?  If that's the case, then it's too early to tell where I'll want to be...if buried at all. 
I suppose as creatures who have a hard time believing our lives on earth are finite, discussing grave sights is low on the list. But you may want to find out just what your family's plan is, so you won't be left without any earth to call home. As for the reminder at lunch that life does come to an end, that our dried out bones and leathered skin will need a place to rest, it should be an impetus not for fear of the future, but to love more with the time we have.


No comments:

Post a Comment