Monday, December 17, 2007

The key incident

Before embarking on Friday’s home visit’s I reviewed the info I had on each patient.  The first home I was to visit had a note from the nurses on it: “Patient share’s duplex with drug dealers, always take security with you if going after dark”.   I was going in the day, but it did make me a little more cautious as I made my drive. 

As luck would have it, in my nervousness to hide my computer, iPod, etc in my car when I arrived at the patient’s house, I jumped out and habitually pressed lock on the car door and saw my keys still sitting in the console.

My heart sank.  Of all places to get locked out of my car, I’m in some dangerous crime filled neighborhood!  There was nothing more to do just looking into my car, full of regrets, so I made my way to my patient’s half of the duplex.   

As I knocked I had the thought- had I left all my valuables in plane sight, maybe someone would try to break in, and then I’d get my keys!! 

I met my patient for the first time, in one breath introducing my self and lamenting about my car key situation.  She’s a young woman, 48, with colon cancer who’s husband died last February of the same disease.  She has a 9 year old and a 30 year old, but no kids in between.

Although tired, and in bed, she immediately went to work on my problem.  I tried to dissuade her to not worry, that I was there to see her, but she wouldn’t have it. She began calling her landlord and neighbors.  “I’m sure one of these young men around here can break into your car” she muttered.  I’d hear her ask for so and so’s son, then take ownership as if it was her car,  “Dewon, I locked my keys in my car, you think you can come get them out?”  They’d talk a bit, but everyone probably saw my car parked outside and declined to come try.

Later, my husband agreed to get off work and come and unlock it.   I ended up spending  2 1/2 hours with this patient.  We didn’t discuss anything too profound; I tried practicing what I’ve heard of as the ministry of presence.  Not wanting to exhaust her, I’d often remain silent, letting her rest.  Then we’d talk for a little bit about her life.

In those silent moments I thought a lot about my key incident.  I know that had I not been so nervous I wouldn’t have made the mistake. I’d now spent an afternoon here, and was embarrassed at myself for the prejudices I had when I had pulled up into this neighborhood. 

When I left, we hugged as friends, and I was glad the day had turned out as it did.


No comments:

Post a Comment