Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Generous gifts

In my travels to other countries, I have often been struck by the generosity of people who literally have nothing. I do not think, however, that this is unique to other cultures.  At least, I have recently seen this phenomenon alive here in this very country.  I just didn't realize it would take the expectant life of my newborn to make me aware. 

The patient population I care for is very indigent.  We use this term around the hospital a lot- our "indigent" patients.  The definition of indigent means "lacking food, clothing, and other necessities of life because of poverty; needy; poor; impoverished."  Yep, that's our patients.

I have been surprised several times during these last few weeks of my pregnancy by patients bringing me baby gifts. As I have taken care of them for several years now, I know their social histories.  These are people who've been unable to afford 3 dollar copays on certain medications and who wear the same dirty t-shirts to multiple visits.  Yet, they've shown up with their gifts-  the dollar general labels still on them- sometimes gift wrapped, sometimes still in the plastic bag from the store.  I want to tell them no, to use the money spent for themselves, but there is always such pride and pleasure in their eyes as they hand over the present, that I can't. 

It's overwhelming when you encounter pure generosity. I think these gifts of clothing and baby powder and diaper wipes will be cherished even more than the gifts given with ease.


No comments:

Post a Comment