Saturday, October 29, 2005

Bug in ear

Back in the states, and I  had an experience just now that I didn't realize would happen here.  It is 4 am and I am working a shift in the ER tonight.  We just had a 20something woman come in with something in her ear.  When I came to inquire she said "a bug or worm is in my ear. I was sleeping and woke up feeling something moving"  Part of me thought, yeah right, there can't be a bug in your ear.   So I grabbed the otoscope to look in, and there in full color was a cockroach.  Not a big one, but a cockroach just the same.  I about squirmed when I saw the little creature move, it's antennae twitching.  I calmly told her that there was a bug, and I would be, very quickly taking it out.  Part of me was recoiling. Those who know me, know I detest cockroaches; more than any other insect on earth. My skin was crawling as I sympathized with her, wondering what it must feel like to have it moving around in there.  I put some lidocaine jelly in her ear first, to numb the ear for my planned prodding.  She began to squeal, as this seemed to make the bug angry.  Then the amazing happened- it crawled out...the jelly forcing it into the air. I quickly grabbed it.  Letting the gathering nurses and techs who had been watching see the prize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment